Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Galactic Melt Mittens

I've been resting my shoulder (a little), doing stretches, and so on to keep it moving. I feel very lucky that my frozen shoulder healed so quickly, from what I've been hearing, that can take ages, and a lot of physiotherapy, and pain. Thank you all for your well wishes.

I couldn't look at my Galactic Melt left over yarn from the socks any longer. Once I pack it away it will not surface any time soon, so I was looking for a mitten pattern to use it all up.

I found the Muckle Mitts by Mary Jane Mucklestone, which was a free pattern some time ago, when I saved it.

Galactic Melt fingerless mittens

Galactic Melt fingerless mittens

Galactic Melt fingerless mittens

Galactic Melt fingerless mittens

I think they are cute, whether you do them in two colors or three or even four. What I don't like is the after thought thumb. The fit is not so good.
I also dislike knitting mittens with fingering weight yarn using 3.25mm and 3.5mm needles (for colorwork). It makes the knit fabric so loose.
I've knit the socks with 2.5mm if you remember, a fabric I like much, much better.

But, these are tiny mitts as it is. I had a hard time getting it on my hand. If I were to knit these again, using fingering weight yarn, I would add 6 sts (one repeat of the colorwork), or use thicker yarn and larger size needles. Anyway, I like how they look, and I know already someone with small, slender hands, which they will fit much better.

♥ ♥ ♥

9 comments:

momsue84 said...

I don't like using an afterthought heel when knitting socks, either. Love the mitts!

Sharon said...

The Galactic Melt colorway is dreamy!

The Kilim socks I'm making use the after-thought heel and I'm not thrilled with the technique either.

2paw said...

I don't like afterthought thumbs either, I love a proper gusset because it fits so well. Every time I read Galactic Melt all I can think of is The Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. These would look cute on every world!! You are very lucky your frozen shoulder is fixed, mine too ages, over a year I think.

monica said...

Oh too bad you can't use them because they are lovely!

schäfchen silvia said...

Die Stulpen gefallen mir sehr sehr gut.

Knatolee said...

Oh wow, these look fabulous! I really love the colours.

Cindy/KS said...

Beautiful mitts!

wanderrast said...

Schön, die ersten Handschuhe im Netz, ein untrügliches Zeichen, dass der Herbst vor der Tür steht. Liebe Grüße zu dir. Elfi

Grammy Braxton said...

I am glad your arm is doing better. Keep doing those stretches.

Hugs,
Sharon