Thursday, December 03, 2009

Handspun Friday - Jacobs Humbug

It's been a while since I had a handspun Friday. This finished yarn was done in August. I divided it in half, and spun one half. Then there was a long break from spinning, and I didn't remember how often I divided the half. So I decided to rip the second half into 4 strips, for longer color repeats. The finished yarns are the same colorway, but look a little different.

3.5oz Jacobs Humbug, navajo plied, 2 skeins ~372yds-1

The fiber of course is Shunklies Jacobs Humbug, 3.5oz. I Navajo plied it, and both skeins together are ~ 372yds. Jacobs fiber is a little on the rougher side.
Kettle dyed Jacob Humbug 1- 3.5oz by Shunklies

This was my fourth Humbug hand spun, with a total of 1446yds. I still have several Humbug fibers, and once they are all done, I'll decide what to do with it.

4 times 3.5oz Humbug ~1446yds

Dec.2-4
A few weeks ago, this would not have been possible. Biko never let Happy be that close, but lately she's O.K. with it. Here she's on the round pillow, which usually is Happy's place. That's why he thought why not snuggle up to her. I find them now more often sleeping close together, touching at some point. That's nice.

22 comments:

momsue84 said...

It sure is nice to see those two snuggling so close and cute! Lovely, lovely handspun. Hope your weekend is a good one!

knottygnome said...

wow, very nice! you must be planning a pretty big project if you already have that much yardage and more to go, eh?

Toby said...

Those Shunklies colors are great. I look forward to seeing what you decide to make with the yarn.

And I must say, the photo of Happy and Biko REALLY shows how big he is now.

SANAZE said...

ooohhhh - the puppy ist big!
Its getting colder now - more need for cuddling...
Grüßle Sabine

Pat said...

Nice to see the pups are bonding :-)
Gorgeous yarn - as always - I'm going to visit Shunklies (new to me) right now...

lexa said...

Look how big Happy is! Holy cow! Glad they are getting snuggly.

Cloudberry said...

Beautiful yarn and the two of them looks so cute together :)

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

That is nice to see them becoming good friends. Nice for you too :)

Love your humbug spinning. Do you have enough there for an Ulums (sp?) shawl. They all blend so well together.

Sharon V said...

It's amazing to mw how two methods of plying from the same fiber produce a different effect. As usual, your yarn is wonderful.

Still, I'm more impressed by Biko and Happy getting along! The look so adorable laying there - like they might love each other. That's so nice!

Anonymous said...

Loving the whole Shunklies thing...

Laura said...

YOu make the prettiest yarn! I want to learn how to navajo ply when I learn to spin - everything you have shown is so cool!
YOur dogs are so sweet!

Walden said...

So adorable when they get along so well. The handspun is very nice, especially like the more blue colored one.

2paw said...

I am glad Biko and Happy are getting along together now. It's a lovely picture of them both together. Happy looks so big now!
Delightful spinning, and how different the two yarns look!!

RC said...

beautiful spinning! great colors
and I love seeing the puppers snuggling:)

Anonymous said...

As it gets colder the pups will probably snuggle more. I've also noticed with Nimitz that he doesn't like dogs when they are puppies but once they reach a certain age then he deems them worthy of attention.

Anonymous said...

that handspun is just gorgeous!!

Annkari said...

You are an evil, evil enabler! Seeing your beautiful spinning, I just had to go and order a whole bunch of fiber from Shunklies.

And yay for snuggly doggies!

susannasplace said...

Deine 2 Süßen kommen sich immer näher. Die brauchen Zeit und die haben sie ja. Deine Garne sind wundervoll. Ich nehme sie alle, wenn Du sie nicht brauchst.

LG und einen schönen zweiten Advent.

Renata S. P. said...

These skeins are so gorgeous! Just can't wait to see what you are going to knit with it!!

T-Mom said...

Cuuuuuute doggies. The closest the Ts ever get is about 1 foot apart when sleeping on the bed with me. They *never* cuddle up. It's sweet to see your two doing it!

Beautiful yarn, too!

hannah said...

Biko and Happy are so sweet. I love your handspun yarn!

Gloria Patre said...

You are such a baaaad influence! I love your Humbugs SO much I went to Skunklies and bought some myself in a different colorway - although I wanted some exactly like yours - but I'm so excited abut the beautiful colors! Thanks for the new fiber source (I guess! LOL!)